Sassafras Wishes

Monday, April 27, 2009

Good Morning and a happy Monday to you all!!

Well, we had every intention on going on a bush walk, but it never eventuated. Saturday we had a late breakfast with the in-laws, then took a drive out to our favorite nursery to buy some hanging plants for our porch. Then Syd convinced them that she needed to have a sleepover. Sunday was much of the same thing so no bushwalk but we were outside a lot and that was nice.

I got a couple of cards done over the weekend, but not much else! The weather was just too nice! But one card I did finish was this one for Beate's Weekend Sketch Challenge WSC78, hosted this week by the really talented Sharon Harnist.

I pulled out my very neglected 'Oliver & Friends' set by Sassafras Lass. The last time I used this set, I didn't belong to a design team, I didn't have a blog and I was participating in a Owl card swap on SCS. This was my card for that swap. And since I've been drooling over Amy Tsuruta's fabulously fresh cards using paper by Sassafras Lass, I had to create a card using the SL line.

I first stamped out the owl, the branch and cloud onto some Georgia Pacific cardstock, colored them up then cut them out. I then sponged a piece of watercolor paper with Cool Caribbean and Buckaroo Blue for my center panel and popped the images onto it with dimensionals. I have noticed that I have to wait until the sponged ink is dry before adding any pop dots on it because it doesn't stick well until it's dry. I used my small corner punch (with the guard off) to create the scalloped edge on the smaller piece of patterned paper and sponged it with Vintage Photo Distress Inks. The larger piece of patterned paper (which was the other side of the doubled sided patterned paper) was also sponged. I love how the two sides to the SL paper are so different from each other, yet work so well together!

The sentiment is actually from a Studio G $1 set from Michaels! Doesn't it fit the SL stamps so well?! I love the sentiments from the Studio G line. I have definitely noticed that I will get a crisper, cleaner image with these stamps when I use a StazOn ink rather than SU or Distress Inks. Just like the sketch, I put the sentiment in the bottom left hand corner and used the cloud image in the upper right hand corner to balance out the card.

It's different from what I normally do, but that's what happens when I play with Sassafras Lass stamps. Just as much fun though!


Have a good one and I'll see you tomorrow with another Twinkling challenge!

Supplies

Stamps: Sassafras Lass 'Oliver & Friends', sentiment by Studio G stamps
Inks: StazOn 'Jet Black', Cool Caribbean, Creamy Caramel, Close to Cocoa, Certain Celery, Pretty In Pink
Papers: Georgia Pacific cs, Bazzil cs, Canson Watercolor paper, PP - Sassafras Lass 'Life is Beautiful My Dearest Collection - Piccadilly'
Access: Ribbon, circle punches, dimensionals

8 Comments:

~amy~ said...

Sandra! Okay, I saw the title and went "ooohhh....", then I saw your card and went "aahhhh..." then saw my name and LOL'd! What a FAB Sassy Card sista...AND teamed up with Cool Caribbean...I seriously hoard that stuff...such thee perfect card!!!!!

Mary Giles said...

Gorgeous card. I love the cool caribbean pop. I wish I was in that swap then I would have gotten one of the cool cards or at least I would have begged for one.

kadie said...

I really like the colors your chose for this. AND you put your cutting skills to work again...LOVE the way you did the branch and the owl. And yes, that sentiment and font is a great match!! Oh, you know I love all your cards! :)

Anonymous said...

What a sweet little owl! I really love that owl dp you have along the side. Beautiful card!

Heather Schlatter said...

O.K.

I am still gasping for breath after that last card I commented on, but this little scene you created is really cute and I love how you used that owl!!!

Awesome layout!!!

Heather

Monica Anderberg said...

So pretty! So wellbalanced and lovely colorcombo! It is so fun to visit your blog and see all the wonderful things you are making.

Hugs Monica

Sharon Harnist said...

What a darling owl! Wonderful job with the sketch, thanks for playing!

Heather P. said...

Sandra, I SOOOOO love this card! It's funky and fun and totally fabulous! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails