Another Year Wiser!

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Happy New Year!

I wasn't intending to take a break over the Christmas holidays, but it sure ended up that way didn't it?! I apologize for my quietness, but I must confess that I think I needed the down time. The chaos leading up to Christmas, traveling for work and coming down with a cold, among other things left me a little frazzled to say the least. But it's now the New Year and I'm determined to get out of this funk I'm in! I got a lot of things accomplished this weekend and feel a lot better because of it. Are you sitting down? Good, because one of the things I managed to do was make not one, but TWO cards to share with you this week! I know - it shocked me too! lol Can I get a Woot! Woot!?!

I'll save the other one for later in the week, but for today, I want to share this cute I made using the recently released Smarty Pants set from There She Goes!


 It's my favorite so far this year! ;) haha

One of my favorite go-to sketch challenge blogs, is Retro Sketches and I used this week's challenge #45 to make this card. I didn't stray too far from the original design, but honestly, there was no need! It was an AWESOME layout to begin with! An easy one to start the year off! Starting with some PTI Kraft cardstock, I embossed a rectangle border using my Scor-Pal. Then, using some yummy new MME paper called Reunion (that was given to me from my dear friend Mary), I cut out the first layer using the Spellbinders reverse wonky rectangles die. Then I matted it with some Bitter Chocolate Bazzil Basics cardstock (another go-to favorite supply of mine!). Using some decorative scissors, I trimmed the edges with it to create the scalloped edge. The two layers were then stitched with the help of my sewing machine - yet another must-have tool of mine! The olive branches were cut from scrap Basic Grey paper with the Olive Branch dies from All That Scraps. Next, I colored up Mr. Owl with my trusty SU reinkers (Soft Suede for his body, Really Rust for his feet and beak, and a little bit of Cool Caribbean for his eyes. To balance out the card, O added a cloud, cut from scrap Crate Paper with PTI's Cloud 1&2 die. Behind the sentiment, I used the large banner die from the There She Goes Just For You die set.


Here's a close up of the layers.

So what do you think?? Not bad for my first card in weeks, hey? Thanks so much for sticking with me despite my erratic postings. I hope to see you back here on Thursday for my second card! (I'm still shocked at that! lol)

Toodles!

Supplies
Stamps: There She Goes 'Smarty Pants'
Inks: StazOn 'Jet Black', Soft Suede, Really Rust, Cool Caribbean, Distress Ink 'Walnut Stain and Tea Dye'
Papers: PTI Kraft Cardstock, Bazzil Basics - Bitter Chocolate, PP - MME 'Reunion' Paper Pad
Access: TSG Just For You Die, Spellbinders Reverse Wonky Rectangles, All That Scraps Olive Branches Die, PTI Cloud 1 & 2 Die, Fiskars Decorative Scissors, Dimensionals, Machine Stitching, Sponges

6 Comments:

kadie said...

This card is adorable! I love the simplicity and yet so much detail too. Big Hugs to you, sweet friend.

Juls said...

such a fun cute card!! Love it!! Hugs Juls

Danni said...

This is so cute!!

Christiana said...

What a fantastic card! I just discovered you through Retro Sketches. I saw your card and just had to click the link and see it bigger. Love it! Off to look around some more...

Mary Giles said...

I don't know if I am another year wiser or tired, but either way I'm determined to make this year a great year. I love how you made the tree! Very creative. Of course your coloring is the best. Happy New Year my sweet friend.

Unknown said...

I am so lucky I found your site...I love your work and wish I had half the talent!!!!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails