American Gothic - DoodleFactory Style

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Happy Hump Day to you!

I have a really fun card for you today! I loved making it because it was so out there, different and fun. When I was blog hopping last week I visited Leigh O'Brien's Sunflower Studio blog and Juliana Swanson's Stampin With Inky Fingers blog. Both ladies are inspiring designers for the Starving Artistamps company. Well, Leigh had issued a challenge to create a card using the famous 1930's 'American Gothic' painting. What painting is that?

This one! You've seen it right? One of my classes in college was Art History and this painting played a prominent part. Don't ask me what the meaning behind it is because I've LONG forgotten! hahaha So anyway, I HAD to take part in this challenge.

I pulled out my Halloween II Doodle Factory stamps because that set had a haunted house and a couple of characters in it - perfect for this challenge!

I stamped the haunted house first then the clouds next. Then I masked off the clouds with a post it note and stamped the moon partialy over one of the clouds to create an ominous mood. The dead tree was stamped last.

That haunted house was probably the main reason I bought that set! I LOVE it! I just left it flat since it is a background image for this card, but the last time I played with it, I layered it and created one of my all-time favorite cards with it. The house is colored with Vintage Violet and Black Soot and then while the clouds are still masked off, I sponged the background with the Black Soot and Walnut Stain. The path was drawn in with a Micron pen. I colored the little witch and vampire in separately and the cut them out and popped them on dimensionals.

So this is my halloween version of the American Gothic painting. :) Me likey!

Thanks for stopping by today. Tomorrow I have an easter card for you!

Supplies
Stamps: Starving Artistamps/Doodle Factory 'Halloween II' and 'Dead Tree' and 'Clouds'
Inks: StazOn 'Jet Black', Vintage Violet, Morning Marigold, Ruby Red, Almost Amethyst, Distressing Inks 'Peeled Paint, Black Soot and Walnut Stain'
Papers: Canson Watercolor, Bazzil cs, PP - We Are Memory Keepers 'BlackOut - Halloween/Morticia'
Access: LOTS of dimensionals and sponges

11 Comments:

~amy~ said...

Okay, now how stinkin' fun!!!

Jane Wetzel said...

this REALLY made me smile this morn as I am browsing! ha ha ha
LOVE IT!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh so creepy cool... What a great take on the classic.

kadie said...

This is SO cool! I love it! Great use of the stamps and great take on the portrait challenge!!

Jacilynn said...

Love this. It is too amazing. Love all the coloring. The images are soo darling. Beautiful Card.

Heather Schlatter said...

Sandra,

Wow girl your coloring always just totally blows me away!!! I love the colors and those images are super cute!!! What fun to have an off season card it is really neat to see those in another season!!!

I love the paper you used too!!!

Heather

Pop's Cards said...

This is really amazing, hugs Pops x x x

Lorie said...

Oh, me likey too! What a wonderful and creative way to complete this challenge! You are so totally amazing it "SCARES" me!!:-D

Gina Lindsay said...

I love your take on that classic! Your coloring is amazing!! Your post reminded me of a college art class-we studied that painting for weeks!

Janna said...

Brilliant is what I have to say!! Wow Sandra this is amazing!!! I love a halloween american gothic! Such a fun idea and the colorign and scene is amazing! You did awesome! I especially love how you made it look like a picture frame! You are a genius!!!

Smiles,
janna

karen said...

Pure Genius is right!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails