Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Good Morning!


It funny how much kids notice. A few weeks back we bumped into our elderly neighbors downstairs and their daughter was visiting at the time. She was introduced to Syd and I. Normally she's a very out going girl and will say hi but she hid behind some stairs instead and kept calling my name trying to get my attention. I knew why too. Our neighbor's daughter had obviously gone through some chemotherapy and the lack of hair on her head did not go unnoticed. Now, this surprised me because her dad, uncle and great uncle all sport bald heads but a woman with no hair is not as common and apparently little ones know this. I handled this the only way I knew how to: I told Syd not to be shy and to ask her why she had no hair. I don't know if it was the right or best thing to do, but I didn't want to act like Syd never asked the question and make everyone feel uncomfortable. The woman was very gracious and told Syd that she was taking some medicine that made her loose her hair and that it would eventually grow back. Syd eventually came around and spoke to the woman. I didn't want to pry so I don't know what kind of cancer she had, but it sounded like she was doing much better. It just amazed me how perceptive kids are even at a young age.

So today's card is in honor of all breast cancer patients everywhere!

I really like how this one turned out! You can never have too much pink on a card like this, right? I used the bra from the Hanna Stamps 'Breast Cancer Hanna' set and colored it in with SU's Pink Passion and then added some of Taylor's Tiny Twinkles to turn the bra from flashy to fabulous! I stamped the bra again onto a piece of Strathmore Bristol paper and used the Labels One nesties to cut it out. I started out sponging the piece with Tea Dye Distress Ink and it started to look like I had made a mistake, but the more ink I added, the better it got (in this case, more was better than less - go figure!) Then I cut out the bra with the rhinestones out and popped it on the cut piece with dimensionals, matted it with some pink cardstock and that piece was done. The background came together easily. No sponging, just yummy pieces of Basic Grey paper from the Lemonade collection!

Hope you have a great day! The sun is peeking through the clouds this morning. Hopefully it stays with us all day!


Supplies
Stamps: Hanna Stamps! 'Breast Cancer Hanna'
Inks: StazOn 'Jet Black', Pink Passion, Cranberry Crisp, Distress Inks 'Tea Dye'
Papers: Strathmore Bristol Vellum, Bazzil Basics, PP - Basic Grey 'Lemonade'
Access: Ribbon, Labels One Nestibilities, Taylor's Tiny Twinkles, Sponges, Dimensionals

17 Comments:

JenRaff said...

That is a sweet story and a great card!! I love the bra :)
When my Dad died from lung cancer, my son (3yrs at the time) kept hugging him and kissing his bald head. I could tell my Dad liked it.

Jane Wetzel said...

awesome card and a great story Sandra..you sound like a great mom..God Bless.. :)

Javablustamper said...

Hey there girl!! Hope you are having a FANTASTIC day!!! Aren't kids something? It is AMAZING what they pick up on!! I LOVE your card, it is BEAUTIFUL!!! Thanks for sharing that story!!



Take care!
Jacquie/Javablustamper!

Juls said...

brilliant!! The sentiment is just perfect!!

Jodi Collins said...

This is BEAUTIFUL Sandra! Man girl...you can COLOR!!!

Dina said...

Love it!! The simplicity of the layout allows the image and sentiment to just shout out at you!! Your coloring AWESOME!!!

Mary Giles said...

Oooh La la. This bra could be in a Victoria Secret catalog it is so gorgeous. Fabulous choice of papers too.

It is amazing at how perceptive kids are. Your Syd is just the cutest.

WickedPixie said...

I love how you handled that situation with your daughter. So hard, but I think it's so good to teach them not to be scared to ask about something! Beautiful card, too!

DoodleFactory said...

great job on coloring that bra, it really pops off the page!

~amy~ said...

Oh sandra, what an excellent card...the colors are fantabulous...thanks so much for sharing your story too:)

Judy McMullen said...

Sandra, what a terrific card! And thank you for sharing the story of Syd and your neighbor. I think you handled that situation just right!

Tracey said...

Great story Sandra! Kids just see the worl in such a true sense. They say it like it is. I love it!! A gorgeous card Sandra and bringing attention to such an incredibly worthy cause!!

Heather Schlatter said...

Sandra,

This card is very special and the story you shared is also wonderful kids can say the darndest things but the way you handled it was awesome and will bennifit Syd and the patient in more ways than you can imagine!!!

Heather

Jessica Diedrich said...

What a sweet story and this card is gorgeous-I dont think anyone could have made that stamp as elegant and as beautifully colored as you did! Love it!

Amy said...

What a wonderful story Sandra and your card is simply gorgeous! Perfect paper choice and your coloring... WOW!

Kim R. said...

That was a great story! Kids are amazing. This card is so beautiful. Great job!

Anonymous said...

A little tear there on my cheek...thanks love! Hey, this is the cutest card ever for that, if you can say that! That bra would actually fit me...LOL!

Related Posts with Thumbnails